An Insight into Various Components used In Piping Industry
Piping is one of the major parts of an industrial plant and Piping Engineering plays a vital role in the structure of the plant. A pipe can be of metal, glass or plastic material and is used to transfer the fluids or gas or anything that can easily transfer from the pipe from one end to another.
Which Material Should be Chosen for Piping?
The materials to be used for the plant must be made, depending upon the design condition of the plant in order to get security from service delays, unexpected fire hazards, corrosion, and working conditions. Hence, the designer has to keep in mind the following points while planning for the design material in the construction:
- Stress Resistance
- Wearing Resistance for Design Life
- Corrosion Resistance
PMS for Piping
Piping Material Specification (PMS) is commonly called the Bible of Piping Engineering. It covers a detailed knowledge of dimensions, types of various ends, components to be used in piping, along with the codes to be followed in the piping industry.
Components of Piping
Piping doesn’t only comprises of pipes; rather, it is made up of other components as well. Few of them are:
- Valves: They are used to start or stop the flow of the material. There are various types of valves, namely gate valve, globe valve, check valve, butterfly valve etc.
- Gaskets: These are a compressible material(s) and are inserted into two fixed objects to prevent the travelling of any fluid amongst them. Gaskets are classified into three types, i.e. metallic, non-metallic, and semi-metallic.
- Fittings: They help to connect the pipes in either of the two ways, namely through threads or slip fit. Metal pipes are usually threaded, while in case of plastic pipes, they can be slip fit or threaded. They are of different types, namely Elbows, Caps and Plugs, Couplings, Reducers etc.
- Flanges: These are used to provide a bolted and a separable joint in the pipe. Flanges are of different types like Weld Neck, Slip-On, Socket Weld, Lap-Joint.
- Bellows: They are also called the expansion joints and are utilized for absorbing the thermal expansion. Metallic, Teflon, and Rubber expansion joints are few of its types.
Piping Industry is gaining fame at a rapid speed and the requirement of efficient Piping Engineers is needed at a high pace. Hence, the ones having expertise in handling the tasks are able to get better job opportunities.
The skills can be gained by opting a formal training offered under AutoCAD Piping online training course provided by Multisoft Virtual Academy. The candidates get to learn using the basics of AutoCAD and the Piping Layouts. There is also an option of getting the demo classes before getting enrolled in the AutoCAD Piping online training program.